Sunday, March 4, 2012

What's in Season Sunday: Potatoes

Of course, I choose a time to get back into my blog writing about local food when it's winter. I've been traveling all over the world, but now it is time to settle in and stay closer to home. Time to appreciate the bounty that is growing here in the Pacific Northwest. Well, ok, not much is growing. Last week, however, I went to the farmer's market. I hadn't been in such a long time! I was expecting to see very few food stands there, but to my surprise I saw grain, cheese, fish, greens, and many varieties of potatoes for sale! Spring is definitely coming.

I decided to buy a handful of potatoes, but I almost didn't know where to start because there were so many varieties. When traveling in Peru, I heard at certain food markets you can choose between hundreds of varieties of potatoes to buy! More varieties of potatoes mean more food security. Different microclimates and soils over time throughout the Andes meant that if one type of potato wasn't successful, (because of pests or disease), there wouldn't be a food shortage. What a great lesson for us all still! Potatoes originally came from the Andes region of South America and have been cultivated outside of the Andes region for about four centuries. So, as you can imagine, no one should be short on recipes! Also, my Grandpa use to grow potatoes in his garden, so I have a special memory of him whenever I cook with them.

I decided to buy a yellow skin/yellow flesh potato called a Binjte. I also decided to buy something totally different, something you wouldn't find at the local QFC, a blue skinned/blue flesh potato called an All Blue (even though it looks purple). I bought these potatoes from Olsen Farms, located in the northeast region of the state by Colville. They grow 23 varieties of potatoes, all of which have different colors, textures, and culinary purposes. The man I talked to told me the varieties I purchased were perfect for frying. That is exactly what I wanted to do with them.

This recipe is very simple and is inspired by my boyfriend, mainly because he makes it all the time. He is a graduate student and wakes up every morning and the first thing out of his mouth is usually, "I'm hungry". This breakfast makes a nice Sunday brunch, or an easy weekday breakfast (you know, like on one of those mornings you have extra time). It's a very hearty meal and will keep you full for hours, which is perfect for those of us who use our wits all day long. It also makes good left overs. I always fry up an egg to go on top. Enjoy!


Chorizo Potato Scramble for Studious Minds

  • Olive Oil
  • 6-8oz of Chorizo Sausage
  • 6 Potatoes from a local farmer, cube into sugar cube-sized pieces
  • 1/2 - 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
  • 2 Tbsp Parsley, Finely Chopped
  • Eggs
  • Salt/Pepper

In a medium sized frying pan, heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add chorizo sausage and cook until brown, or about 10 minutes on medium to high heat (chorizo has a lot of spices in it, so it may be difficult to tell when it is done). Remove the chorizo from the pan. Add the potatoes. Cook until tender, but not falling apart. It may help to add a little water and add a lid to the pan, if the potatoes are still crunchy or they are sticking to the pan. Just before potatoes are cooked through (and all water has evaporated, if any was added to the pan), add the onion and cooked sausage. In another frying pan, fry an egg, or two, or three. I like to fry my eggs over easy. Serve bowls with the chorizo potato scramble and place fried eggs on top. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment: