Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spring Peas are Planted!

Earlier this year, I purchased several seed packets from Seed Savers Exchange. This is the first time I've ever grown vegetables from seed so it should be interesting to see how good my green thumb is.

I started simple. So far I've planted Amish Snap Peas and lettuce. Both were started indoors. A couple weeks ago, I planted the peas and lettuce outside. They seem a bit spindly, but I am hoping with the warmer weather, they will begin to take off. I only planted six pea plants and already one plant bent in half and died. It has been so windy and they are vulnerable to everything! I planted a seed where the other one died. The others are doing well, however. I think they'll survive. I'm having a lot of fun watching their progress. Every morning I walk down the steps of my balcony and have a look as I'm leaving for work and swing by on my way back home. I make sure they are finding the twine with their tendrils. I feel like they are becoming my pets. They are little individuals that are longing so much to grow! So I am going to do my best to tend to them. Since I have a raised deck, I planted the peas pots and used twine to encourage them to grow up the railing. It is my way of using a structure I already have as a trellis. I envision a living wall of peas! Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment