Monday, May 23, 2011

Homemade Beauty: Makeup Remover

This is the third post in my series about homemade beauty products that are simple, affordable, and easy alternatives to the beauty products we all buy at the store. Today, I want to focus on makeup remover. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but the makeup I do wear I want to wash off each night before I go to bed. Unless you buy a makeup remover product, washing your face with just soap and water won't do the trick. I still notice mascara below my eyes for example. What a pain! I use to buy a Clinique product, which was quite expensive. I bought it after a woman at the makeup counter suggested it should be a part of my skin care routine. It was $18! At the time, I didn't really think much of spending this much on a product I would likely have to buy every few months. Now I think differently and would rather save my money.

My Sister gave me the idea to try using something we all have at home, olive oil! At first, I thought she was pulling my leg. So I went into the kitchen grabbed my bottle of olive oil and put a couple drops on a clean cotton ball and gave it a try. The olive oil lifted away all the make up that was still on my face after a gentle cleansing. In fact, I'm pretty sure this natural product outperformed the store bought brand by far. Extra virgin olive oil is pure and non-irritating so it is safe to use around your eyes. In addition to removing your makeup, olive oil is also an excellent moisturizer. I found a small glass bottle to fill up and I keep in my bathroom so it's always handy in the evenings when I'm getting ready for bed. Use a small amount to remove your make up. Sometimes my skin can feel a little oily if I use too much. If that is the case, I just run my hands under some warm water and gently rub the remaining olive oil into my skin. Pat dry with a towel and enjoy your makeup free, moisturized new face. Give it a try, you'll be surprised!

photo: Simple Organic

1 comment:

  1. I have been using pure coconut oil for about a year now. Takes my mascara right off, and at the same time is moisturizing the very tender skin around my eyes. Olive oil would work in the same way...a good alternative to my coconut oil. Coconut oil is also in my homemade deodorant and my homemade toothpaste!

    ReplyDelete