Monday, December 20, 2010

Gift Wrapping with What You Have

Are your Christmas presents wrapped? Do something different this year and use what you already have! Below are a few unique ways I've discovered to wrap gifts.

It seems wrapping gifts these days isn't as common as just buying a gift bag. And gift bags are great for presents because they can be used again and again. Check out the Newspaper Bag Project website with instructions for a creative way to make your own gift bag. I bet someone is selling these at a hip, green earth boutique somewhere. Instead we can all rummage through the recycling and make them for free!

In Japanese culture, gifts wrapped in fabric are called furoshiki. What a great idea for wrapping a Christmas present. The cloth you wrap the present in could be a gift itself, like a cute scarf, a decorative kitchen towel, or handkerchief.

Just about the easiest solution to gift wrapping is to use recycled paper like newspapers, magazine pages, old book covers, sheet music, paper grocery bags, old maps, calendar pages, or whatever it is you can think of. I'm a cartographer, so I've collected a few of my old maps that I will use, but use what you have available lying around!

And lastly, what gift is complete with out a recycled paper gift bow? Buy ordinary bows at the store or make a few in seconds with paper scraps that will rock the socks off of your friends and family. They are unique and cost nothing.

Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Over the years my mother-in-law has made fabric gift bags/sacks in several sizes. They are super easy to sew and can be reused year after year. I now have a stash that I use when I have an awkwardly shaped present to wrap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, Pam! I should get out my Mom's sewing machine and remember that for next year.

    ReplyDelete