Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wonderful Waffles

Comforting. Golden. Crisp. Buttery. I can't remember the last time I had waffles! Although, these words come to mind when describing them, I rarely eat waffles. In fact, even in my college's dining hall, waffles galore, I always passed them by and went for something else. Recently I watched a couple episodes of Food Network's Alton Brown and he inspired me. Waffles are a good idea. And it wasn't too long after that, my Grandma sent me a waffle iron. So, I got to work.

Everyone knows what a waffle is, of course. But what are they to you? Are they the frozen concoctions you buy at the grocery store in the frozen food section or an instant store-bought batter? Homemade waffles are worth it. So I suggest you take a little time (and actually it takes no time at all), like I did Sunday morning, to mix up a batter of your own, from scratch, and enjoy the wonderful goodness of waffles. The recipe I used, is for a basic waffle batter and is included below. I topped my waffles with pear sauce made from Okanogan county organic pears I canned last summer. Freeze leftover waffles and put in your toaster for a quick morning meal without the hassle. Numerous variations can be made to a basic waffle batter. Why not try experimenting? Sweet potato waffles or maple chocolate chip waffles? Hmm... how will I ever decide!?

1.5 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 egg whites, beaten stiff
6 tbsp melted butter

Mix dry ingredients. Beat milk and egg yolks together. Add to dry ingredients. Add melted butter. Fold in whites. Cook with an electric waffle iron and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment