Sunday, August 14, 2011

What's In Season Sunday: Peaches

As you may or may not have noticed, I've taken a small break from my blog. But I am back and I will try to be more consistent in my writing. One thing you might find interesting is that I am about to embark on my first ever international trip to a new continent, South America! I leave on Saturday and I will be flying to Santiago, Chile, for work. I will only be there for about ten days, but I plan to sample as much food as possible. I will write about my food and travel adventures on my blog. But I don't want to get ahead of myself. Today is What's in Season Sunday and I have a new recipe to tell you about.

I've been listening to the radio a lot lately. There is a commercial for Metropolitan Market, a swanky grocery store in the Seattle area, about in season ripe and wonderful peaches. In fact the peaches are so fantastic, the grocery store has named this time of year their Peach-O-Rama event. I'd like to say that advertising doesn't work, but in this case, it certainly did. Ripe, sweet, succulent peaches are such a part of summer, I couldn't let my summer escape without trying one. So I hopped on my bike for a very enjoyable Saturday morning bike ride to Metropolitan Market and partook in some urban yuppie fun. First yuppie activity, grab a latte. Second yuppie activity, browse the grocery store shelves with latte in hand and gawk at the local wines, cheeses, fresh produce, and wonderfully baked bread and pastries. It isn't everyday I visit Metropolitan Market, so I had to revel. I purchased a bottle of wine, gingersnap cookies, and four perfectly ripe peaches.

The peaches I bought were grown at Pence Farms in Wapato, Washington. It is a 4th generation family farm in the lower Yakima Valley. I love fruit crisps, perhaps better than I love pie. The best thing about a crisp is that it is super easy to put together. You don't have to spend hours perfecting a perfect crust, you just create a crumble topping with your favorite ingredients and place over your favorite fruit and bake. Easy! Usually crumble toppings for crisps consist of oats, nuts, sugar, spices, and butter. I choose to use gingersnap cookies (the small crunchy cookies you can buy in a bag in the cookie aisle at the grocery store). You could probably bake your own cookies, but they need to be hard because they break up better in the food processor. They've got to have some snap! Homemade or store bought, it should work. Below you will find my peach crisp recipe. Enjoy!

Peach Crisp with Gingersnaps and Pecans

4 ripe peaches
20 small gingersnap cookies
1/3 cup pecans
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp chilled butter

Set oven to 350 degrees. Slice peaches and place in a baking dish. Cut butter into small cubes. In a food processor, pulse gingersnap cookies, pecans, sugar, and cinnamon. Add butter and pulse until crumbles form. Top over fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment