Friday, May 22, 2009

Thrifty Tips

As part of my effort to share my local eating and food discoveries, I am thinking, with this economy, it may also be helpful to provide some cost saving tips for living a "green" lifestyle. Like Kermit the Frog said "it's not easy being green" but with a few steps here and there you will discover it isn't the hassle you may of thought it to be. Being thrifty is rewarding, it will leave you with more money in your wallet at the end of the week, and the Earth, and all of us living on it, will thank you.
Today's thrifty tip, wash glass jars you would normally recycle and use them to save small amounts of leftover food in the fridge. I have several empty mason jars that I use for this very purpose but any glass jar will do the trick.  I also use mason jars to make salad dressing (If you do not make your own salad dressings now, you should give it a try. Serious.). Making your own dressings is yet another way to save money and most often your own salad dressings will taste so much better than store bought brands, especially as you begin to discover your own culinary genius. Remember the key to a basic vinaigrette is to use a magic ratio of oil to vinegar of 3:1. Any oil will do (olive, canola, sesame, etc) and any vinegar or acid will do (balsamic vinegar, sherry, lemon juice, etc). Don't forget the kosher salt, pepper, and if you are getting super gourmet, some finely chopped herbs, garlic, or shallots! Add the ingredients to the jar and shake. Using glass jars to store food is a cheap alternative to buying Tupperware storage containers or Ziplock bags. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this tip!!!!! The glass jars is a great idea and way to reuse what you already have. Also, I have been making my own salad dressing for a couple years now and I won't go back to those store bought dressings, too surgary! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete